Wit and Git...

You know we have the word "me" and the word "you" and that the word "us" can mean anything from you and me, us three or the entire human race, don't you?

Of course you do.

Have you ever had that experience when someone says "we'll be going there tomorrow..." and you aren't sure about who they're referring to - is it their family, all of the West Ham supporters or just yourself and them?

Well...

the speakers of Old English had a word for "us two" and "you two" as well as the usual me, you, us, them etc.

Isn't that nifty?

The words were "wit" meaning "us two" or "you and me" and there was even a "git" meaning "them two".

I like that - that to them (the English users of old) the idea of a partnership was sufficiently significant to create words to refer to them.

As an aside, there is an anglo-saxon rune called "gifu" - it looks like this "X" and was their letter "G". It also symbolised partnership or two people doing something together.

Nice words, "wit" and "git" - I'm glad we've kept them. We often are them.

Popular Posts